Full Written recipe for Pav bhaji
Prep time: 30-35 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
Serves: 7-8 people
Pav bhaji masala
● Coriander seeds 5 tbsp
● Cumin seeds 3 tbsp
● Cloves 20-22 nos.
● Star anise 4-5 nos.
● Black cardamom 5-6 nos.
● Cinnamon 3-4 sticks
● Bay leaf 4-5 nos.
● Kashmiri red chillies 20-25 nos.
● Fennel seeds 3 tbsp
● Kasuri methi 2 tbsp
● Turmeric powder ½ tsp
● Dry ginger powder ½ tsp
● Hing 1 tsp
● Kaala namak 1 tsp
● Aamchur powder 1 tbsp
● Salt 1 tbsp
● Set a pan on medium low heat, heat the pan moderately, low down the heat, add coriander seeds & jeera seeds, roast them on low flame for 1-2 minutes, further add the remaining whole spices and roast on low flame until fragrant. Add kasuri methi at last stage & briefly roast for 5 seconds.
● Transfer the roasted spices over a plate and allow to cool down to room temperature, once cooled down transfer in a grinding jar and add the powdered spices, grind to make a fine powder. You can grind them in batches.
● Your pav bhaji masala is ready, you can use the masala directly or can also pass it through a sieve. Store in an airtight container, it stays good in the fridge up to 2-3 months, use accordingly.
Red chilli paste:
● Kashmiri red chillies 15-20 nos. (deseeded & soaked)
● Water as required
● Garlic cloves 3/4th cup
● Water as required
● Boiling water
● Phool gobhi 1 medium sized
● Hare matar 3/4th cup
● A pinch of haldi powder
● A pinch of salt
● For red chilli paste, transfer the soaked kashmiri red chillies in a mixer grinder, add water as required & grind in a fine & runny paste.
● For garlic paste, transfer the garlic cloves in a mixer grinder, add water as required & grind in a fine & runny paste. The consistency should be watery.
● For boiling the vegetables, set water for boiling in a stock pot, add the veggies, haldi & salt, boil and cover until it turns soft & is cooked. Once its cooked strain the water & keep aside.
● Butter 50 gm + oil 2 tbsp
● Jeera seeds 2 tsp
● Onions 2-3 medium size (chopped)
● Capsicum 2 medium size (chopped)
● Potatoes 7-8 medium size (boiled & mashed)
● Tomatoes 7-8 medium size (chopped)
● Boiled green peas
● Boiled cauliflower florets
● Beetroot 1 medium size (boiled & grated)
● Fresh coriander a handful (chopped)
● Salt to taste
● Prepared pav bhaji masala 2 tbsp
● Kashmiri red chilli 1 tsp
● Dhaniya powder 1 tbsp
● Haldi powder ½ tsp
● Kasuri methi 1 tsp
● Green chilli paste (paste of 2 green chillies)
● Prepared garlic paste 7-8 tbsp
● Prepared red chilli paste 7-8 tbsp
● Hot water as required
● Butter 50 grams
● A pinch of jeera seeds
● Prepared red chilli paste 4-5 tbsp
● Garlic paste/water 2-3 tbsp
● Pav bhaji masala 1 tsp
● A pinch of garam masala
● Salt to taste
● Freshly chopped coriander leaves
● Butter as per your preference
● Lemon juice 1 tsp
● Set a big size tawa on medium high heat, add butter & oil, further add jeera & allow it to crackle, add onions and cook until they turn pinkish in colour.
● Further add capsicum and cook on high flame for 2-3 minutes.
● Further add the boiled & chopped veggies, salt, prepared pav bhaji masala, powdered spices & green chilli paste, mix it really well & try to break down the veggie chunks with the spatula.
● Further add prepared garlic and chilli paste, mix well and initially add 1-2 cups of hot water, now use a pav bhaji masher and start to mash the bhaji really well, keep the flame low and mash until the bhaji is almost crushed.
● You can adjust the consistency of the bhaji by adding additional hot water, i like the consistency of my pav bhaji to be little thin just like the street vendors do, you can adjust the consistency of the bhaji as per your preference. The whole process of cooking will take about 15-20 minutes.
● The base of the bhaji is ready, let the bhaji simmer on low flame by the time you can make the tadka that needs to go on the bhaji.
● For tadka, set a pan on medium heat, add butter, jeera, prepared red chilli paste & garlic paste, pav bhaji masala and garam masala, cook on medium high flame for 1-2 minutes, further add the tadka into the bhaji & mix well.
● Check for the seasoning and adjust the salt as per taste.
● Further add freshly chopped coriander leaves, butter and lemon juice, mix well and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, your bhaji is ready to be serve with nice soft buttery pav.
For Red Garlic Chutney and Assembly continued in the comment section below
#YFL #SanjyotKeer #PavBhaji
The Music I use in All my videos – https://bit.ly/3CdPbSc
(Best for independent creators)
Follow us on all platforms:
Facebook – https://bit.ly/3o6alLt
Instagram – https://bit.ly/2RFkL8z
Follow my personal handles here: (Chef Sanjyot Keer)
Facebook – https://bit.ly/3tpjqQA
Instagram – https://bit.ly/3o0FZK8
Twitter – https://bit.ly/33qQpJN